Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Dog Ate My Disk and Other Tales of Woe

I caught myself laughing out loud a few times while reading this passage.  For example, when Segal said, pg. 353 “No one catches a cold anymore; everyone throws up blood.”  She continued to mention people throwing up blood throughout a few categories which made the comment even more comical.  It was very easy to relate to this piece because people really do try and pull some of these crazy excuses.  The most popular being the death of a family member or the “family emergency.”  Students have been using those excuses since back in middle school because as she mentions, teachers are not really in the position to question someone’s death.  Segal’s sarcastic tone throughout this piece was a great touch and really made the passage.  I find sarcasm to be hilarious because I am frequently sarcastic myself.  It lightens up the mood and makes this passage enjoyable to read in my opinion.  The only excuse under “The Evils of Technology” category that is legitimate is the printer wouldn’t print.  I had a wireless computer at home and constantly had problems with the connection to my laptop.  I made sure when I came to college to buy a printer that came with a USB cord so I could connect it to my laptop!  As for “The Totally Bizarre” category, I have no idea why any student would even try pulling off either of those excuses because they weren’t believable in any way shape or form.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Lauren that this was a humorous excerpt. Segal really has a dry wit that made her one of the best reads this semester. I actually had an interest right from the start, unlike most of the other pieces that I had to force myself to make it to the climax or ending. Also the printer problems do occur more than any other excuse, but teachers always come back with "should've printed it earlier" or at school or another comeback that insinuates that everyone has a magical gift of foresight. These are the same teachers who cancel class because they can't find their power point notes because the file is lost. Teachers that offer no leniency shouldn't receive any in return.

    ReplyDelete