Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Reliving Memories

When you are missing something, go after it.  No matter how much trouble you may have to go through to get there, you will not regret it once you arrive.  Once you enable yourself to concentrate on past experiences, it makes it much easier to relive the memories.  As E.B. White mentions, I find it strange that at times we are capable of remembering such vivid memories from the past.  When I think back to certain stages of my life, it is like I have a photographic memory for the time being.  As soon as one detail is recalled, all of the sensory details from that specific moment start refreshing in my mind.  In my opinion the fact that this trip allowed White to realize “he is his own father”, and his boy is him as a child, makes the experience that much more meaningful.  I like the way White explained how some things never change.  “It was the arrival of this fly that convinced me beyond any doubt that everything was as it always had been, that the years were a mirage and there had been no years.” (pg. 403)  Throughout this piece I sensed a joyful tone.  E.B. White sounded happy and appreciative he was able to visit the lake with his son.  I enjoyed reading this besides the ending.  It was very random and bluntly put.  “As he buckled the swollen belt, suddenly my groin felt the chill of death.” (pg. 407)  I was expecting him to end this piece on a better note.   I am still not exactly sure what he meant by that sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment