Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Price We Pay

The way Adam Mayblum described his experience, was incredibly vivid.  I felt like I was reading a movie script of the terrorist attack.  Even though he mentioned they all remained calm, I could sense the feeling of nervousness and the fear for their lives.  However I feel they were able to remain calm because in a situation like this awful one, if you want to make it out alive, you need to have composure and act in an orderly fashion.  These men were smart and had quick reaction time, which is also necessary.  Adam narrated this tragedy so descriptively that I was able to paint a mental picture of each moment as I was reading it.  Once something this tragic happens to you, it’s almost impossible to forget each and every detail, no matter how much you may want to.  I’m sure he could have written this piece 2 years later, rather than the day after, and it would have still have been just as detailed.  I was shocked Adam was able to get in touch with his nanny at home, his parents, and also his friend Angel.  The last paragraph was probably one of the most moving paragraph’s I have ever read.  He couldn’t have put his feelings into words any better.  My favorite part is when he says, “The responsible ones are in hiding somewhere on this planet and damn them for making me feel like this. But they should know that they failed in terrorizing us.”  The men remain undefeated and there is no greater feeling than that because the terrorists’ were unsuccessful when it came to these two men.  They lived through it and are still able to pass their disastrous story on to others.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Lauren's comments on the last paragraph being as moving as it is. It instills a sense of hope for all Americans and the message is surely not forgettable, just like Mayblum intended. As Americans, it is our duty and our honor to stand together after the events of 9/11 to rebuild, regrow, and come together. Mayblum says we haven't lost, we will now inevitably win, because messing with Americans' hearts and souls causes a maelstrom of vengeance to all those who wish us death. Now that we are united, no faction, group, or country can stand in our way. That is our greatest strength.

    ReplyDelete